Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Marmalade Cake ...with a twist


I read the other day that Marmalade Cakes originated  here in Scotland and that the first Marmalade made with Oranges was made in Dundee in the 1700’s….before that it probably was a spread made with Quinces.
In my 70’s recipe collection, that I found the other week, I have a Marmalade cake recipe which I will try out again and put  on here if I’m happy with it, but today  I made this one, which I made because Vicki is allergic to Oranges.



                                 MARMALADE CAKE …with a twist (Lime and coconut)

1lb loaf tin  …170C …I hour .... in middle of oven

200g SR Flour
Pinch salt
115g Margarine or butter
30g desiccated coconut
2tsp boiling water
85g Caster Sugar
The finely grated peel/zest of a lime
2 eggs
2tbs Milk
2-3 rounded tablespoons Lime Marmalade


Pour the boiling water over the coconut stir to moisten  and set aside
Add the grated lime to the  eggs, milk and marmalade and whisk together …set aside
Rub in the margarine to the flour and salt until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Add the sugar and  then the coconut , rubbing gently for a few seconds, in between the additions so that they are well mixed.
Finally stir in the milk mixture and as soon as the batter has formed , spoon into the lined loaf tin.

Cook for 1hour middle of the oven ….check at about 50mins if going a dark golden….mine was ready about 10 mins early today
Always check to see if cooked with a thin wooden skewer ..
Leave in the tin for 5 mins before removing it to cool on a rack .

While warm  the top can be topped with a lime drizzle….Just dissolve a little caster sugar in the juice from the lime and brush it all over the top….I tend not to bother but it does enhance the lime flavour.
My tin is a smallish 1lb tin so it just goes over the edge …I think I might try it in a 6” round cake tin next time.


If you try this, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Take Care xx

9 comments:

Deb said...

looks delicious Angie, love the twist, bet it tastes good!
Debxx

Arkansas Patti said...

So that is where my favorite toast spread originated? I love orange marmalade and think when I convert the measurements,I will try it with the orange, not sure I can find the lime.
Thanks.

Rian said...

Angie, I may have to try this. Orange marmalade is one of the very few things that I don't care for... so the lime coconut twist sounds great. And it certainly looks delicious!

Alison said...

It looks yummy Angie! xx

Morning's Minion said...

This sounds like a lovely tea loaf--I wish I could convert British measurements to something I could recognize in US format!

Morning's Minion said...

Angie, There are kitchen scales to be had--I've never used one. Most ingredients are measured by fractions of cups [3/4-1/2 etc] and liquid measures also by cup amounts or sometimes by liquid ounces. Flour is measured into a cup and lightly leveled. Some recipes specify sifted or unsifted--I usually sift so that paking powder or bicarb of soda, spices, are evenly distributed.
Your lovely finished loaf looks like my basic pound cake--perhaps I could simply use the lime and coconut with that and have a similar product. Recipes are a bit like quilt patterns--usually a variation on a common theme!

Morning's Minion said...

Back again--had I used my brain first I would have found there are several websites with charts for converting UK measurements to US--it might take some study, but I should be able to make sense of your recipe!

Carmen said...

OMG am positively drooling...

Rosebark said...

Sounds yummy. I've still got my copy of the band's cook book with your marmalade cake in it!